Rooibos tea, also known as red tea, is a medicinal herbal tea that is made from the Aspalathus linearis bush, which grows in South Africa. It is not a true tea but is instead an herb that is fermented in the tea.
It has many health benefits that make it a popular tea in South Africa. The health benefits have been confirmed by the United States Department of Agriculture, which has stated that red rooibos tea has the ability to decrease the risk of cancer, premature aging, and heart disease.
Red rooibos tea is high in many minerals, such as calcium, potassium, iron, copper, zinc, manganese, and magnesium. It is also high in antioxidants, such as nothofagin and aspalathin, which scavenge for oxygen free radicals that can damage cellular structures. It contains no oxalic acid, which means that it can be drunk by people who are prone to oxalic acid kidney stones.
Health Benefits Of The Tea
This type of tea is one of healthiest drinks you can drink if you have concerns about your health and fitness level. Some of the most beneficial effects of red rooibos tea include the following:
- It is high in polyphenols. Rooibos tea contains plenty of polyphenols that have anti-inflammatory, anti-mutagenic, and high antiviral properties. Polyphenols are excellent antioxidants that fight cancer and other diseases. Antioxidants act as scavengers for oxygen free radicals in the cells of the body, which are metabolic byproducts that can cause damage to cellular structures, including cellular DNA. Tea containing rooibos can also enhance the immune system.
- It is caffeine free. Rooibos tea contains no caffeine, which makes it a good beverage for people who suffer from a lack of sleep. A cup of rooibos tea can be drunk just before bedtime to help a person sleep better and can reduce your levels of stress. This can improve your mood and decrease your risk of developing heart disease. It can provide you with energy without having caffeine in it.
- It improves hypertension. Rooibos tea is a stress-reliever, and can lessen nervous tension and high blood pressure problems. High blood pressure can cause health problems, such as heart attack, stroke, and kidney disease. Rooibos tea also acts as a bronchodilator, which means that it opens the bronchial tree so you can breathe better.
- It is good for bone health. Red rooibos tea is high in fluoride, manganese, and calcium, which are minerals that help maintain good bone health and build strong teeth. By increasing these minerals in your body, you can lessen the risk of getting things like osteoporosis, arthritis, and other types of joint pain conditions. Manganese is especially helpful because it stimulates enzymes that repair damaged bones and builds new bones. Fluoride is good for the health of your teeth and is just as good as things like toothpaste and mouthwashes containing fluoride.
- It is good for heart health. Rooibos tea is high in quercetin, which is an especially good antioxidant. It has been found to reduce the incidence of heart diseases and has anti-inflammatory properties. It increases HDL cholesterol and decreases LDL cholesterol, reducing the risk of plaques on the arteries. This means that it can help protect you from atherosclerosis, strokes, and heart attacks.
- It is good for children. Rooibos tea can be used for infants suffering from abdominal pain or colic. You can give the infant the tea along with sweetened milk so the flavor is better and so the child will drink it. It is used in Africa to treat colicky babies but exactly how it does this is not known.
- It helps diabetes. Rooibos tea is high in aspalathin, which is an antioxidant that can help improve blood sugar levels, insulin resistance, and glucose absorption by the cells. It enhances insulin secretion by the pancreas, making it a good tea to drink for the prevention of type 2 diabetes.
- It is healthy for the skin. Rooibos tea is high in alpha hydroxyl-acid and zinc. These can help improve the health of the skin. It can be drunk as a tea or applied to the skin to decrease acne, sunburn, or other skin problems. It can reduce the signs of aging by lessening the appearance of wrinkles.
- It acts as an antispasmodic. Rooibos tea has many antispasmodic properties, making it a good tea to drink if you have stomach pains or abdominal cramps. It decreases the hyperactivity of the GI tract so that diarrhea can be prevented.